[racket] release date for RacketCon videos?

From: Stephen Bloch (bloch at adelphi.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 4 13:31:13 EDT 2012

On Apr 4, 2012, at 12:54 PM, Nadeem Abdul Hamid wrote:

> Based on a quick poll at the beginning of my talk, there were lots
> of people who taught intro CS but no one had heard of Racket or
> Program-by-Design. There were other presentations, and people talked
> about and were familiar with things like Greenfoot, Alice, Python,
> etc. But I was thinking that PBD needs to get more exposure somehow.

Yes, this has been frustrating me for years.

Everybody knows about Greenfoot, Alice, Python, Processing, Scratch/BYOB/Snap, Georgia Tech's Media Computation, etc.  Some of these have earned their designers the Karlstrom award and/or the SIGCSE Distinguished Educator award, just as PBD earned Matthias those two awards.  Most of these try to reduce the syntactic load on first-semester students and motivate them with graphics and animation, just as PBD does.  Some of these have earned multiple NSF grants, just as PBD has.  Most of these have been presented at national and regional conferences, just as PBD has.  Why isn't PBD one of the options people think of when they start a conversation about "how to teach CS1"?

Stephen Bloch
sbloch at adelphi.edu

Posted on the users mailing list.