[racket] Quoted expressions in #lang racket

From: Grant Rettke (grettke at acm.org)
Date: Sun Sep 18 13:05:20 EDT 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Matthias Felleisen
<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> Mr Noob: if (1 2 3) is a value, why can't I compute (car (1 2 3)). 4 is a value and I can compute (+ 4 3). #t is a value and I can compute (not #t). Why do you insist that I cannot compute with (1 2 3) if it is a value?

Maybe RacketNoob can start by doing this:

"In the bottom left hand of the screen in DrRacket click the "Choose
Language" dropdown, "Use the language declared in source" should be
selected on the left.

On the right you can choose the "Output Syntax". If you change it to
"write" then it will look how you want."

And then we can point him at some good things to read that will help
him make sense of all the good points and advice everyone has shared.

Perhaps: Racket reader documentation, quote documentation, Scheme
standard? That is how I learned. I loved this passage from the R6RS
spec:

``It is important to distinguish between the mathematical numbers, the
Scheme objects that attempt to model them, the machine representations
used to implement the numbers, and notations used to write numbers.''

Posted on the users mailing list.