[racket] adding stuff to info.rkt and relying on it for the long haul

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue Sep 6 21:20:45 EDT 2011

Two questions on "info.rkt":

1. Do you intend to stay with "info.rkt" more or less as it is, for at
least a few years?

2. Is it OK for third-party development tools to require additional info
from "info.rkt", and if so, are there any conventions they should
observe (e.g., for naming)?

Reason for asking: I have a new package for embedding API docs in Racket
source code files, called McFly, and it currently includes a metadata
form, called "doc Package" that is used for a few purposes, like
"info.rkt" is.  (See example below.)  Now that I've added code to
generate "info.rkt" based on the parsed docs, I'm thinking this is
backwards.  So, I'm thinking I should throw out "doc Package" and add a
few more variables to "info.rkt".  But before I do a bunch of rewriting,
I want to be comfortable relying on "info.rkt".  McFly might be used in
many different authors' PlaneT packages, and if McFly breaks, all the
packages that use it break.

(doc Package
     #:name     "soundex"
     #:subtitle "Soundex Index Keying in Racket"
     #:homepage "http://www.neilvandyke.org/racket-soundex/"
     #:author   "Neil Van Dyke"
     #:license  "LGPLv3"
     #:legal    "Copyright 2004--2011 Neil Van Dyke.  This program is Free
                 Software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
under the
                 terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as
published by
                 the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the
License,
                 or (at your option) any later version.  This program is
                 distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but without
                 any warranty; without even the implied warranty of
                 merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.  See
                 http://www.gnu.org/licenses/ for details.  For other
licenses
                 and consulting, please contact the author."
     #:version  "0.7"
     #:planet   neil/soundex:1:=4)

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/