[racket] recent updates to Whalesong development: web-world

From: Danny Yoo (dyoo at cs.wpi.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 5 14:36:44 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Danny Yoo <dyoo at cs.wpi.edu> wrote:
> We're smack in the middle of implementing web-world for Whalesong,
> which is analogous to regular world, but with web pages.  Unlike
> regular world, the callbacks in web-world take in both the world as
> well as a functional representation of the DOM.

Request for browser help.  I'm trying to make the Whalesong-compiled
program here:

    http://hashcollision.org/whalesong/examples/todo/todo.html

work for as many browsers as I can.

>From my experiments:

    * Chrome, the fresh-off-the-shelf Mozilla nightly, and Konqueror
can run this program fine.

    * Firefox non-nightlies fails with that crazy lexical scoping bug.

    * Mobile Safari on the iPad as well as the iPhone fails, but
without any error message.

    * Browser on the Nexus One (Gingerbread) runs with no problems.

    * Browser on the Motorola Droid crashes.

People with mobile browsers in particular: can you visit the page and
report what you see?  That would be a big help.  Stack traces or any
kind of debugging output would be golden.

I don't have a concrete idea what's causing my compilation strategy to
fail on the iOS devices.  My best guess so far is that its evaluator
does not like to handle such large files: I observe that the iOS
browser just stops in the middle and gives up.  If that's the case,
I'll need to fracture the code into separate, independent JS files.

Posted on the users mailing list.