[racket] Racketizing Chrome

From: Jakub Piotr Cłapa (jpc-ml at zenburn.net)
Date: Fri Sep 2 11:13:10 EDT 2011

On 31.08.11 06:44, Neil Van Dyke wrote:
> Ray Racine wrote at 08/30/2011 08:30 PM:
>> Chrome has solidified their native app capability. Downside, only
>> support is native apps in C or C++. Racket scheme is embeddable in a C
>> program, hence,
>
> If they will let this embedded native app exec another process, or talk
> through a Unix domain socket to an existing process, or talk HTTP to a
> localhost address... then you can avoid embedding Racket and just embed
> a small bit of shim code that does RPC-like communication with a normal
> Racket process.

1. They won't let you. NaCL has the same I/O capabilites as in-browser
JavaScript.
2. With NaCL you do not need to (manualy) run a new process. The browser
downloads the Racket interpreter, verifies it and runs it in a sandbox.

> Advantage of this over embedding Racket itself is that you don't have to
> worry about strange interactions with the GC and whatever tricky stuff
> Chrome will do. And you know that they will probably do tricky stuff.

NaCL in Chrome should work like a just another operating system. It uses
an instruction verifier and not is not a VM or C->Javascript thing.

--
regards,
Jakub Piotr Cłapa