[racket] Escaping things in templates?

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 22 23:29:44 EDT 2011

web-server/template and Scribble produce strings, that's why you
create a response by plopping in the string from include-template. The
Web Server has no idea what kind of string you making, so it imposes
no special XML rules.

The template-less version your servlet does exactly what you seem to want:

#lang web-server/insta

(require web-server/templates)

(define (start req)
  (let ([some-input
         (if (exists-binding? 'some-input (request-bindings req))
          (extract-binding/single 'some-input (request-bindings req))
          "nothing yet")])
    (response/xexpr
     `(html
       (head (title "Testing"))
       (body
        (h1 "You said:" ,some-input)
        (form ([method "get"] [action "#"])
              (input ([name "some-input"] [type "text"]))
              (input ([type "submit"]))))))))

But if you want to use templates to produce XML strings and get XML
quoting, then you have to quote explicitly by treating your user's
string as if it is a string Xexpr (the representation for XML in the
Web Server):

#lang web-server/insta

(require web-server/templates
         xml)

(define (start req)
  (let ([some-input
         (xexpr->string
          (if (exists-binding? 'some-input (request-bindings req))
              (extract-binding/single 'some-input (request-bindings req))
              "nothing yet"))])
    (response/full 200 #"Okay" (current-seconds) TEXT/HTML-MIME-TYPE
                   empty
                   (list (string->bytes/utf-8 (include-template
"static.htm"))))))

Notice the addition of the (require xml) and the single call to
(xexpr->string ...) around the user's input.

Jay