[racket] Behaviour with read-only files

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Thu Nov 17 14:15:37 EST 2011

On Nov 17, 2011, at 11:03 AM, Robby Findler wrote:

> This seems like the kind of thing where the stepper takes control over
> the GUI in the same way that the OS can take over the GUI of a
> program. Instead of a spinning beach ball, tho, it would be good if
> the stepper dim the windows and write some message on top of them,
> telling the user to go to the stepper window to advance the program.
>
> I don't think that we have the right hooks for that yet, but you could
> probably do some clever namespace hacking to replace frame% with
> something that collaborated with the stepper and then use that
> namespace to start the user's program.

Oog... this all sounds really complicated. I have something really simple in mind. The user's thread increments a counter every time it sends a step to the stepper. When it gets to 10K, it sends a "here's a semaphore, I'm going to block on it" message. The stepper then throws up a modal dialog (yes, I'm guessing this blocks all of the DrRacket interface) with three(?) choices: Halt the program, keep running for another 10K steps, or keep running forever.

Shall we take this off racket-users?

John