[racket] Revisiting Racket on ARM

From: Deren Dohoda (deren.dohoda at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 15 17:35:17 EST 2011

Ahh, excellent. I had no idea that this work was already done. Thanks.
On Nov 15, 2011 4:59 PM, "Brian Mastenbrook" <brian at mastenbrook.net> wrote:

> On 11/15/2011 01:35 PM, Deren Dohoda wrote:
>>
>> It looks like everything is moving ahead fine for the Raspberry Pi, a
>> ridiculously inexpensive single-board computer based on ARM. The
>> mailing list here doesn't have a lot of discussion on ARM except as it
>> related to things like tablets. While it might be fun to tinker on my
>> phone with Racket, I could actually find better use for it on
>> something like this in a very soft-time embedded situation.
>>
>> http://www.raspberrypi.org/
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_pi
>>
>> Current plans include a Debian distribution, and a few others. What is
>> the feasibility of getting Racket up here? What if GUI features were
>> not included, would that help? I suddenly have dreams of a super cheap
>> SBC running my racket applications on init...
>

> Racket is already packaged by Debian on ARM. There is no current JIT
support for ARM though, so things will be slower than they might otherwise
be.

> Be wary of the "ultra cheap" part as well - by the time you add a power
supply, case, WiFi card (if necessary), and storage you may be nearing the
cost of the more powerful Cortex-A8 based Efika MX Smarttop. With 512MB of
RAM instead of 256MB on the Raspberry Pi board, it should provide a more
pleasant Racket experience.