[racket] article about Racket

From: Rodolfo Carvalho (rhcarvalho at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 13 13:25:44 EST 2011

Hi Johan,

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 08:00, Johan Holmquist <holmisen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Only thing I am really missing is GUI support for defining my own
> keybindings (I never had much luck with defining my own keybindings). Now I
> haven't hacked any racket for a while, so things may have improved in this
> respect without my knowledge.

What DrRacket offers in terms of custom keybinding definitions is much more
powerful than what could be done in a simple GUI dialog that other programs
may have.

You can write Racket code to provide new keybindings, see some examples
here:
http://docs.racket-lang.org/drracket/Keyboard_Shortcuts.html#(part._defining-shortcuts)

In essence, you create a new file to define your keybinding definitions
(and therefore you can reuse it in ever computer you happen to use -- home,
work, university, desktop, laptop, etc...) and then you click on the menu
Edit > Keybindings > Add User-defined Keybindings...
Restart DrRacket, and you're done.

Note that your keybindings can do pretty much anything. You could use them
to automate your tasks in many different ways.
Image you could have a key combination to go on the Internet and get the
weather forecast for the next few days and display it in a dialog for you.

[]'s

Rodolfo Carvalho