[racket] profiling

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 10 14:50:35 EST 2011

Expanding on what Robby said about the statistical profiler (the
`profile' module) being more useful: I've found that the statistical
profiler more often correctly reports the names and source locations of
functions. It also doesn't require compiling your code with profiling
enabled - it just works. It doesn't do the nice graphical stuff, so
you'd have to learn how to read its textual output.

Anyway, if you get stuck because the graphical profiler can't tell you a
source location, try the statistical one.

FWIW, I've just done a major bout of profiling and speed tweaking in the
plot library (managed 2x-5x faster on everything), and I've discovered that:

  - for/* macros are fairly fast
  - match and match-define are very fast, as well as being very readable
    (this is ace: you almost can't lose by destructuring with match)
  - function application is not generally a big performance hit
  - higher-order contracts and contract regions are slow

Neil T