[racket] Remapping default character behavior in make-readtable

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue May 31 23:06:14 EDT 2011

I don't believe so.  I want to restore another readtable's behavior
for unmapped characters, but leave all other mappings in the current
readtable untouched.  I can't think of a way to get my hand on
precisely that readtable.

Specifically, I am trying to write a reader extension for dotted
accessors, so that x.y.z reads as (dot x y z) or something similar.
The way I envision implementing it is to first read a symbol using the
default symbol reader, leaving "." as a terminating character, then
checking for "." and chaining to a suffix if it is present.  For this
to be a generic reader extension, that recursive read using the
underlying symbol reader should leave all other extensions in place.
I can only think of how to come up with the default readtable, or
perhaps the readtable as it was just prior to this extension, but all
subsequent extensions would be lost.

Carl Eastlund

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> The `read/recursive' and `read-syntax/recursive' functions accept a
> readtable to use for the immediate read action, while nested reads use
> the `current-readtable' parameter. That's intended as a general
> chaining mechanism. Can you get the behavior you want by using those
> functions?
>
> At Tue, 31 May 2011 14:29:29 -0400, Carl Eastlund wrote:
>> The make-readtable function allows me to remap individual characters
>> to new behaviors, and to remap the default behavior of unmapped
>> characters to new behavior.  It also allows me to remap individual
>> characters to the behavior of another readtable (such as the default
>> readtable).  I cannot, however, remap the default behavior of unmapped
>> characters to the behavior of another readtable.  (The same
>> restriction appears to hold for "dispatch macro" mappings.)  Is there
>> a way to do this that I have missed?  If not, could this ability be
>> added?
>>
>> Carl Eastlund

Posted on the users mailing list.