[racket] in praise of if's mandatory else clause

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sun May 29 16:02:50 EDT 2011

Noel Welsh wrote at 05/29/2011 03:17 PM:
> (define-key global-map [(meta left)] 'backward-sexp)
> (define-key global-map [(meta right)] 'forward-sexp)

There are a couple other crucial ones that can still be done as optional
key bindings, without imposing the restrictions of a structured editor:

(global-set-key [(meta left)]      'backward-sexp)
(global-set-key [(meta right)]     'forward-sexp)
(global-set-key [(meta backspace)] 'backward-kill-sexp)
(global-set-key [(meta delete)]    'kill-sexp)
(global-set-key [(meta up)]        'backward-up-list)
(global-set-key [(meta down)]      'down-list)

I blogged those 7 years ago, but only now decided to put them in Quack.

> So they've been there for a while...
>
> These days I use paredit.el (in addition to Quack and Geiser) which
> does the sexp editing thing really well.

A more structured editor, like paredit.el or DivaScheme, seems like it
should be the way to go for power-users, but I haven't spent enough time
with them to get comfortable with them.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/