[racket] serializable structs and portability

From: Eric Tanter (etanter at dcc.uchile.cl)
Date: Mon Mar 28 18:28:02 EDT 2011

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "collection-based library".

The structs are part of an app I'm building from scratch.
For now I have a couple of .rkt files, some of which define the structs in question, and I import them in the main module with (require "foo.rkt"), etc.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

-- Éric

On Mar 28, 2011, at 5:22 PM, Matthew Flatt wrote:

> At Mon, 28 Mar 2011 17:36:22 -0400, Eric Tanter wrote:
>> I'm playing with serializable structs and noticed that the absolute path of
>> the source rkt definition is inserted in the representation (I'm writing
>> structs out to a file).
>> The problem is that if I then move my application to a server for deployment,
>> all serialized structs cannot be deserialized anymore. If I edit/replace, it
>> works, but I assume this is not the right way to proceed.
>>
>> What is the best way to obtain "portable" serialized structs?
>
> If the struct is defined in a collection-based library, then the
> serialized form will use the collection path instead of a filesystem
> path. I think that's the only way currently to make the information
> path-independent.

Posted on the users mailing list.