[racket] data mining business information on web sites w/Racket

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Fri Mar 18 17:05:04 EDT 2011

Scraping information off of Web pages was the first thing I ever did
with Racket (then called PLT Scheme).  It worked great.

Racket is up to most tasks in this general category that I can imagine.

Also, Racket's support for minilanguages and rapid programming in
general make it especially productive for tasks like individually
specializing behavior for lots of different Web sites, if that's what
you need.

You mentioned AI.  Racket's Lisp heritage makes it convenient for
symbolic AI.  It can also do numeric/statistical work.  There's a good
chance you'll have to code up any particular "AI" algorithm, or use the
FFI or subprocesses to hook up an off-the-shelf library.

If you find you need to evaluate JavaScript to do some of the scraping,
you can find ways to do that (I would first try calling an off-the-shelf
tool intended for this purpose, using subprocesses; they do exist), but
it's going to be annoying-to-intractable no matter what language you use.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/