[racket] Compiling Racket bytecode hangs…

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Sat Mar 12 12:34:03 EST 2011

On Mar 12, 2011, at 9:09 AM, jenny sun wrote:

> Hi, I was trying to compile Racket bytecode to excecutable. However, when I typed racket parser_rkt.zo, then there was nothing showing but the cursor kept flashing...What reasons can it be?
> btw, I have no source code, but just the compiled one.

Use 'raco exe' to compile into executable code.

Run 'raco help exe' for more documentation.

What you did--as far as I can tell--was to *run* the file.  There are several reasons it could then have been waiting.  One is that the file requires planet libraries that were compiling.  Another, simpler one is that the file you're running may parse input from stdin, in which case it was waiting for you to provide input.

Finally, I'm a little surprised that you want to compile the file; usually, compiling like this is useful only to create a stand-alone executable that you can share with other people.  In other circumstances, it's simpler (and, I believe, generally about as fast) to leave the file in bytecode format.

John Clements