[racket] Liitin screencast tutorial

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sun Mar 6 04:32:40 EST 2011

Shriram Krishnamurthi wrote at 03/05/2011 02:15 PM:
>> Also, in addition to the ambiguous "people lie," I'd add "ontological/knowledge engineering is hard."  I think that malice and incompetence should be considered two separate problems that don't necessarily have exactly the same solution.
>>

> The "and" was meant as a separator.
>
> http://www.well.com/~doctorow/metacrap.htm

Then I say that laziness, incompetence, and malice are three separate
problems.

And I see that Cory Doctorow identified this with his unquoted third
problem, "People are stupid."  He's talking about competence at
expression, which, when generalized to Semantic Web, might include
ability to distinguish concepts like "has-a" and "is-a."  I saw in the
early '90s that pretty simple static object-modeling confounded eluded a
surprising number of people, even after they received some instruction,
and similar difficulty was found in the fields of Knowledge
Representation and Knowledge Acquisition.  (If one has ever had the
misfortune of reading YouTube comments, one might despair that we'll
ever achieve even basic literacy by 20th century standards, nevermind
what we think is required for 21st century expression on the Web.)

These problems, and others, are not insurmountable.  TeachScheme and the
like will help.  Smarter approaches for the Semantic Web will also help.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/