[racket] Racket looking for older versions of libcrypto and libssl than what Amazon Linux has

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 2 11:55:29 EST 2011

Want to ask a question that displays my spectacular nub-ness re Linux:

1. Built something on Amazon Linux image that uses modules like
openssl and web-server/stuffers/hmac-sha1.
2. Ran it. Got a runtime error, couldn't load libcrypto.so. Fixed that.
3. Ran it again. Got a runtime error, couldn't load libssl.so. Fixed that.
4. Ran it again. Runs fine now.

How I fixed both:
1. Did $yum reinstall openssl.  Didn't help. Was already installed just fine.
2. Examined the FFI code for the two Racket modules and saw what so
files Racket was trying to load. Realized it's looking for older
versions.
3. Use `ln' to make links:

libcrypto
$cd /lib
$sudo ln libcrypto.so.1.0.a libcrypto.so.0.9.8

libssl
$cd /usr/lib
$sudo ln libssl.so.1.0.0a libssl.so.0.9.8

And now it works fine.

But I'm wondering:
1. Was this the best way for me to fix it?
2. Someday should Racket look for the newer versions of libssl and libcrypto?

Again, regret my nub-itude. Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Posted on the users mailing list.