[racket] Racket on Centos 5

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue Mar 1 22:48:20 EST 2011

Apparently CentOS 5.5 packages Cairo version 1.2.4.

Looks like "cairo_clip_extents" was introduced in Cairo snapshot version
1.3.2.

So, "cairo_clip_extents" was introduced in the development stream in
November 15th, 2006, four years ago, but the RHEL distro (and therefore,
CentOS) has not picked it up. Seems like RHEL/CentOS are as bad for
recent-era libraries as Debian Stable.  (Matthew Flatt graciously added
compatibility with the old GTK-related library versions on the Debian
Stable distros that I tend to use.)

Looks like the recently released RHEL 6 has Cairo 1.8.8 or later (which
should be fine for DrRacket), but CentOS 6 is not yet available.  I
don't know what Cairo version CentOS 5.6 will have.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/