[racket] Saving function bodies in Beginning Student Language

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 27 09:09:30 EDT 2011

On Jun 26, 2011, at 11:01 PM, Gregory Marton wrote:

> In BSL:
>
>> (define/save-source (foo x) (+ x 3))
>> (procedure-source foo)
> (cons '? (cons (cons 'x empty) (cons (cons '+ (cons 'x (cons 3 empty)))  empty)))

What you see here is the BSL printer of course. It insists on showing students the list in terms of basic construction steps.

>> (procedure-name foo)
> 'foo

>> (foo 6)
> function call: expected a defined function name or a primitive operation name after an open parenthesis, but found something else

As Eli said, in BSL, a function definition defines a macro. So your define/source needs to deliver a macro that obeys the same protocol (I am not sure that's doable via a teachpack).

;; ---

May I ask how you wish to explain the evaluation of expressions? Or how your presentation is going to differ from the stepper's?

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.