[racket] Integrating scribble and LaTeX

From: Stephen Bloch (sbloch at adelphi.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 22 06:33:05 EDT 2011

On Jun 22, 2011, at 1:43 AM, Don Blaheta wrote:

> The reasons I want to use Scribble snippets inside a broader LaTeX
> context is that I have a substantial part of this document already
> written, and a huge installed base of LaTeX documents that include a
> large amount of custom definitions.  I do have time during this project
> to learn a bit of Scribble; I do not have time during this project to
> learn all of Scribble and convert all my .cls files into their nearest
> Scribble equivalents.... it's going to be
> a lot harder to make that decision if I can't first dip in my toe and
> make it work with my existing installed base.  It's especially hard if
> I'm not yet sure Scribble can do everything I want it to and thus might
> be required to abandon the effort half-done.

Early in the development of _Picturing Programs_, I switched from LaTeX to MS Word, on grounds that I was going to need a lot of graphics in this book so a WYSIWYG editor would be helpful.  After a few months, I concluded that many things I wanted to do were much more difficult in Word, and some were completely impossible, so I converted the whole book back to LaTeX.  I don't want to go through that again with a 400-page book.  I could see substantial benefit in rewriting some parts (e.g. certain code samples) in Scribble, but rewriting the whole book in Scribble sounds like a lot of work.  So I'd like to second the request that there be an easy way to include Scribble code in a LaTeX document.

Stephen Bloch
sbloch at adelphi.edu

Posted on the users mailing list.