[racket] Gambit Scheme for the iPhone and iPad

From: Jukka Tuominen (jukka.tuominen at finndesign.fi)
Date: Sun Jun 5 07:56:59 EDT 2011

> Next what Marc Feely's app needs is some sort of community, like
> Scratch, so people can share their wizardry, but for that the
> ability to organize and modularize scripts would need to be
> improved.  The downside is if people get too clever, Apple could
> get hyperparental and pull the plug.  So an Android app could be
> useful too.
>
> Geoffrey S. Knauth
> http://knauth.org/gsk

This is what Liitin (liitin.finndesign.fi) is trying to deliver - except that it uses Racket instead of Gambit :)

For the time being, there's only a native client for PC (bare metal + virtual machines like VirtualBox and VMWare), but through VNC it's accessible by virtually any terminal. In most cases it also proves to be a better approach since the computing power is elsewhere + faster network. The VNC resolution can be adjusted to any size, but usually the input method is the critical issue. For example, I can log into my Liitin account using my iPhone, but the resolution is small and 1/3 is taken by the virtual keyboard.

You can, however, access all the personal and public data and tools. And you could design an app optimized for mobile use. Everything produced in the mobile is also automatically available in all the other Liitin terminals (and vice versa).

br, jukka

|  J U K K A   T U O M I N E N
|  m a n a g i n g   d i r e c t o r  M. A.
|
|  Finndesign  Kauppiaankatu 13, FI-00160 Helsinki, Finland
|  mobile +358 50 5666290
|  jukka.tuominen at finndesign.fi  www.finndesign.fi

Posted on the users mailing list.