[racket] sound.ss teachpack

From: John Riedl (riedl at cs.umn.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 19 16:03:38 EDT 2011

Matthias:

Thank you for your explanation.  I've gotten speak-word and speak-list
working now.  There were several challenges:

1. HtDP talks about sound.ss.  There is a sound.ss distributed with
racket 5.1.1, but it's the deinprogramm version, which supports
completely different commands.  If you want the speak-word function
you need the sound.ss teachpack from
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP/Sound/.

2. Once you've installed that teachpack, you need to load it with
(require htdp/Sound/sound).

3. On Linux the built-in sounds are recorded in a .wav file format
that my version of the default sound command for DRRacket, aplay, (on
Ubuntu) cannot play.  I had to change the sound program to "play"
(which is the sox command-line tool that plays most types of audio).
To do that, add (|GRacket:playcmd| "play") to your preferences file.
((find-system-path 'pref-file) will show you where your preference
file is located.  The vertical bars are needed since GRacket is case
sensitive, but the default preference file is case insensitive.)

4. Under Ubuntu my sox library did not include most of the converters.
 You can install the rest of them with "sudo apt-get install
libsox-fmt-all", if you have sudo privileges.

Enjoy!
John