[racket] Periodic calls to collect-garbage?

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 15 14:20:48 EDT 2011

At Fri, 15 Jul 2011 12:52:07 -0400, Stephen Chang wrote:
> I dont know if this is related but the virtual machine runs out of
> memory every time I run raco setup when compiling Racket (32 bit) from
> scratch on my Windows 7 (64 bit) machine.

Off-list, Stephen reports:

> I have 12gb of ram and 4 cores with hyperthreading so it shows up as
> 8. I ran some experiments and the virtual machine only fails when I
> use the full 8 cores. I tried using -j 1 through 7 and raco setup
> completed without running out of memory. But with 8 cores, it reliably
> runs out of memory every time. I should also add I'm not even building
> docs.

8 parallel builds fails because each one uses enough memory that the
2GB limit on 32-bit Windows apps is exhausted.

We are always working on reducing Racket's memory use, especially `raco
setup'. Meanwhile, I think `raco setup' should limit itself to 4
parallel build processes on a 32-bit machine.

Posted on the users mailing list.