[racket] Amazon Linux update causes `require' in 5.1.1 to hang indefinitely?

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 12 12:38:47 EDT 2011

> I'd guess it's the what the jit is compiling to as opposed to the
> memory manipulations themselves that is causing it to spin.

Ah, I see what you mean. In fact that's evident from the "context" for
the error message, which differs for JIT on or off:

===[ JIT off ]===========================================

$ export PLTNOMZJIT=1
$ ./req-no-exist.rkt
req-no-exist.rkt:4:9: no-exist: standard-module-name-resolver:
collection not found: "no-exist" in any of:
(#<path:/home/ec2-user/src/scheme>
#<path:/home/ec2-user/.racket/5.1.1/collects>
#<path:/usr/racket/collects>) in: no-exist

 === context ===
show-collection-err

$
  ### terminated normally

===[ JIT on ]============================================

$ unset PLTNOMZJIT
$ ./req-no-exist.rkt
req-no-exist.rkt:4:9: no-exist: standard-module-name-resolver:
collection not found: "no-exist" in any of:
(#<path:/home/ec2-user/src/scheme>
#<path:/home/ec2-user/.racket/5.1.1/collects>
#<path:/usr/racket/collects>) in: no-exist

 === context ===
standard-module-name-resolver
standard-module-name-resolver

  ### "hung" bogarting the CPU

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Ray Racine <ray.racine at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 10:46 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
>>
>> An hour and a half ago, Greg Hendershott wrote:
>> > I've discovered that the problem does NOT happen if I start racket
>> > with -j a.k.a. --no-jit.
>> >
>> > ?
>>
>> It might be one of these things that prevent data execution.
>
> I helped debug that on the 64 bit build when the jit first rolled out.  No
> jit fine, with jit you got a clear segfault if the proper mprotect is not
> set.  I'd guess it's the what the jit is compiling to as opposed to the
> memory manipulations themselves that is causing it to spin.

Posted on the users mailing list.