[racket] Can I start with Ch 1 to 7 of htdp 2e

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 17 10:48:24 EST 2011

On Dec 16, 2011, at 9:29 PM, Rajiv Abraham wrote:

> Hi,
> I have been waiting to start playing with htdp 2e . Thanks for posting it online !
>
> - Can I start with Ch 1 to 7 assuming that they are stable enough without major revisions?

Yes.

> - Does anyone know the tentative schedule for Ch 8 and on?

I intend to write a bunch of material next semester (Jan through May).

> - Where can I get more information about "How to Design Components". I am really looking forward to this book !

I have an entire landscape of programming in my head, based on Racket's basic design. 'Components' will
transition from HtDP via modules (making the approximate assumption that modules encapsulate). From
there it will go into HtDP + modules + classes. It will end with unit-oriented programming.

'Systems' will pick up from there and HtDP's distributed model of programming to introduce 'gluing' together
systems level components.

So far, 'Components' consists of about 10 unpublishable pages. Nothing of 'Systems' exists yet.

I have 10-20 years of work left. -- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.