[racket] open-output-file #:exist

From: Stephan Houben (stephanh at planet.nl)
Date: Wed Aug 24 11:23:52 EDT 2011

Hi Marijn,

At least on Unix/Linux, a file (inode) has some distinct identity
apart from its content.

If a file is truncated, this is observed by all processes which have the file
open. In addition, all hard-links to the file are also truncated (since
these are just references to the same inode).

If a file is replaced, the old inode is unaffected: processes which
had the file open continue to see the old data, other hard links
keep referring to the old file.

If you don't care about these subtleties you can use truncate/replace.

must-truncate is, I think, mostly useful if the file is to be used
for some form of inter-process communication. must-replace doesn't seem
useful in any way to me and moreover cannot be implemented reliably
without introducing a race condition between checking for existence of
the file and overwriting it with a new one.

Stephan