[racket] Query for Gregory Woodhouse

From: Paul Ellis (pellis at london.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 18 04:17:09 EDT 2011

Dear  Gregory Woodhouse

Unrelated to Racket - I'm interested in the Geometry of 2 Complex
Dimensions ("G2CDs") and came across your 2006 post:

[plt-scheme] 3rd-8th Grade

Gregory Woodhouse gregory.woodhouse at sbcglobal.net
<mailto:users%40racket-lang.org?Subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bplt-scheme%5D%2
03rd-8th%20Grade&In-Reply-To=%3CC2FB68FC-173F-486D-89BC-C805CDEC43C2%40s
bcglobal.net%3E>
Mon Mar 20 08:51:15 EST 2006

As it appears that you know something about the G2CDs, would you be able
to point me towards any fairly elementary book/article that discusses
it?

I'm an ex-chemist (but not a mathematician) trying to obtain some
intuitive insight into spinors, and came across Bruce Schumm's "Deep
Down Things"  (a popular level explanation of gauge theory) in which he
starts discussing rotations in 2CDs. Rather than limiting it to the
usual discussion of the Lie group SU(2), he does start to explain it in
a bit more detail, and I'd very much like to pursue this, but he gives
no references. I'm well aware of the common references to spinors,
quaternions, Clifford algebras, and geometric algebra, but with one very
limited exception, haven't found any description, at the level of
coordinates etc.,  of the type I seek.

I would be most grateful for any constructive advice

Paul Ellis

Paul G. Ellis (Dr) | Teaching & Research Co-ordinator | Management
Science & Operations

London Business School | UK |  Email pellis at london.edu
<mailto:pellis at london.edu>
+ 44 (0)20 7000 8835 |  Mob: 0776-191-3270
www.london.edu <http://www.london.edu/>  | Thought leadership. World
impact.

This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System
on behalf of the London Business School community.