[racket] non-terminating type check for typed racket

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 17 19:48:34 EDT 2011

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Danny Yoo <dyoo at cs.wpi.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <samth at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Danny Yoo <dyoo at cs.wpi.edu> wrote:
>>> This behavior appears for both Racket 5.0.1 as well as Racket 5.1.
>>> I've git tagged my project as 'infinite-typecheck' at the point where
>>> I'm seeing this behavior.
>>>
>>>    https://github.com/dyoo/js-sicp-5-5/tree/infinite-typecheck
>>
>> We'll take a look, but a reduced test case would be very nice ...
>

> Ok, so I no longer think this is an infinite loop issue anymore.
> However, there's definitely something nonlinear going on.  I'm editing
> il-structs.rkt and modifying the PrimitiveCommand type union.

There are certainly non-linear parts of the typechecker.  Looking at
that file, it doesn't seem likely to have the non-linear behavior, but
if you can figure out which part of the code is having the problem,
that would be great.

Also, if the part that's slow may well be inferring the type
parameters to a polymorphic function application, in which case it
should be easy to work around by explicitly using `inst'.
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu

Posted on the users mailing list.