[racket] in-line documentation program? Like Javadoc or Doxygen

From: Markku Rontu (markku.rontu at iki.fi)
Date: Sun Apr 10 14:02:46 EDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-04-10 at 13:09 -0400, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> Why do you use graphviz? Isn't the module browser giving you the
> graph that you want?

Honestly I don't really know much about it. It seems to show something
of the structure of my modules but it's not quite there (I'm not using
5.1 yet, is it better?). For example, names are so short they become
cryptic, it does not serve as documentation for the project and it is
very limited in what it can show. It's a kind of project browser of
sorts?

With Graphviz I can make html image maps and link the graph nodes to the
correct place in code, other visualizations or documentation. It has
been sufficient to me. Also I can customize easily what I want it to
look like (UMLish). All kinds of cross-referencing becomes possible as
well.

Thought of a kind of project explorer/software
intelligence/documentation tool.

> A while ago I proposed to the dev list that we need a 'tooltip'
> thing so that the module browser shows the interface of modules
> and ideally the types or contracts (these are two distinct, barely
> related ideas) of the identifiers that are exported. Jon @ Utah
> started working on this and has the 'batch' version ready; I am
> not sure why he didn't finish the job.
>
> But in general, we welcome any and all contributions to the IDE
> that people are willing to create. Ideally you should coordinate
> such activities on the dev list and best of all someone on the
> inside should 'buy' into it. In the end however we want an open
> architecture and contributions, that's why Robby put in APIs for
> teachpacks and tools for DrRacket.
>
> -- Matthias

Open API would be great for more than one tool. I mean opening up the
existing stuff there is, for example the module browser and the check
syntax. What kind of API would there be if I wanted to use it so that I
don't have to develop my own parsers etc.? Maybe I just have to take a
look at the source first. I'll post something on dev.

-Markku

Posted on the users mailing list.