[racket] Survey of Syntax and Hygienic Macro Systems?

From: Will M. Farr (wmfarr at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 21 13:54:36 EDT 2010

John,

I know this isn't the survey you asked for, but rather one data point in such a survey; nevertheless, I hope it's interesting.  Have a look at OCaml's Camlp4: a macro language where people sometimes *actually* use the AST to write transformations (sometimes quotations just won't cut it).  As somebody who has tried to use camlp4 before, I can understand the attraction of sexp syntax for the language; the OCaml analog of quasiquote is *much* more complicated, as is the pattern matching on syntax, as is....

Will