[racket] Survey of Syntax and Hygienic Macro Systems?

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Tue Sep 21 13:35:58 EDT 2010

Me: what are you interested in?

Student: wouldn't it be cool if you could specify source-to-source translations for languages like c++ by defining the operations at the AST level, after they're parsed?

Me: AST level <=> s-expressions. Everyone who tries this eventually decides that it's easier to simply write their programs in the AST language (a.k.a. s-expressions).

So here's my question: is there a good *survey* of syntax & hygienic macro systems that tries to provide some insight into what we've learned?  I don't think PLAI or 2nd edition EoPL try to do this.

John