[racket] bracket code converter to parens

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Fri Sep 17 03:21:23 EDT 2010

Isaiah Gilliland wrote at 09/17/2010 02:31 AM:
> This is the utility I've been working on that had me posting on here
> for help from time to time.

Making new features for the tools is a good way to both get your feet
wet and contribute.  Thanks.

By the way, both DrRacket and Quack have poorly-advertised features that
let you type square brackets to get an appropriate parentheses or square
bracket character.

In DrRacket, there's a checkbox at "Preferences -> Editing ->
Automatically adjust opening square brackets".

In Quack, there's a checkbox at "Quack -> Options -> Smart Open-Paren".
(Closing parens are always 'smart'.)

> By the way I'm trying to learn the standard first and get a foundation
> before i learn racket, so the program is written in pure R6RS.

I did something like that too.  It's a good way to be prepared to move
to another dialect if you ever have to.  In practice, though, real-world
applications still seem to require nonportable bits, so don't beat
yourself up too long trying to do everything portably.

If you want to possess the skill of knowing what is portable and what is
not, you might also look at R5RS.  The main Racket language is mostly a
superset of R5RS, but both Racket and R6RS fork in different directions
from R5RS.  Also, R6RS met with mixed reviews, and I wouldn't be totally
surprised if the next Scheme standard looks closer to being built upon
R5RS rather than R6RS.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/