[racket] News flash! Racket once again a legal choice for developing iPhone apps!

From: Jens Axel Søgaard (jensaxel at soegaard.net)
Date: Wed Sep 15 17:46:37 EDT 2010

2010/9/15 YC <yinso.chen at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Jens Axel Søgaard <jensaxel at soegaard.net>
> wrote:

>> > limited memory usage
>>
>> This is a biggie, but memory size will grow fast enough
>> that if it is a problem, it will disappear with time.
>
> This is true in the grand scheme of things, however, would that mean racket
> is out for consideration until mobile environments catch up to the memory
> usage?  That might mean limited adoptions.

There is 256 ram in iphone 3g, which I believe is enough to
run quite a few programs.

>> > Compilation to a "single" exe (zipped structure appears to be fine) - or
>> > at
>> > least compile all planet packages along with the exe so it can be
>> > shipped
>> > together without going through planet
>>
>> The PLaneT dance might be impractical, but hardly a show stopper?
>
> Since I've invested a ton of time in creating reusable planet packages it's
> a pretty big deal to me ;)

I can relate to that :-)
My reasoning was that since the racket caches the PLaneT libraries
locally, then it must be possible to add support for locally
stored PLaneT libraries without too much work.

>> However there is something to think about regarding shared and static
>> C libraries.
>
> What types of issues are you seeing here?

I am unsure whether an app can load its own set of dynamic libraries
without any problems. I know that two different app can't share
the same dynamic library.

In lack of a better reference:
http://www.clintharris.net/2009/iphone-app-shared-libraries/

--