[racket] News flash! Racket once again a legal choice for developing iPhone apps!

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 15 08:31:28 EDT 2010

> Just curious, does wescheme support "universe" programs?

Not yet.

As you have anticipated, the problem is with server-side support (ie,
where to host things).

It should, in principle, be possible for a school to run a server on
some DrRacket instance (say on a desktop), and have the WeScheme
clients speak to one another through that server.  We haven't invested
effort into this because we don't think many people are likely to have
the resources to maintain this.

We do, of course, know how to make a WeScheme site that hosts servers.
The problem is that this requires us to change our current Web-hosting
infrastructure.  Right now we get to rely on the free limits of
AppEngine, which also gives us storage and authentication.  In this
alternate universe, we'd have to run our own server farm (not
feasible), or find a way to pay for (say) Amazon EC2 rack space.

I would love to find a solution to this problem, so suggestions
welcome!  (I mean concrete ones grounded in facts, not of the "Why
don't you contact Engine Yard and tell them you're virtuous and ask
them to give you cycles?" ilk.)

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.