[racket] users Digest, Vol 61, Issue 13

From: Todd O'Bryan (toddobryan at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 4 23:12:26 EDT 2010

The Jaunty version does work.

I've created a script that downloads and installs the Ubuntu version
in the /opt directory, in a folder called /opt/plt-version# with a
symbolic link at /opt/plt. It also installs a desktop file so that
DrRacket appears in the Applications menu, and adds a MIME type so
that .rkt files have an icon and double-clicking them opens DrRacket.
The icon is the SVG version of the plt-red-shiny icon in the icon
directiory. If you're using Picturing Programs, the script can also
download Stephen's teachpack and place it so that it looks like a
built-in teachpack so that each student doesn't have to download it
separately.

To use the script, download it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10388887/install_plt.py

Assuming you saved it on your desktop, do the following

$ cd ~/Desktop
$ chmod +x install_plt.py

If you wish to install the Picturing Programs teachpack, open the file
and remove the # from the install_picturing_programs() line near the
bottom.

To install, decide if you want to install the latest stable version or
a nightly build and find the URL of the file you'd download. For
latest stable:

$ sudo ./install_plt.py
http://download.racket-lang.org/installers/5.0.1/racket/racket-5.0.1-bin-i386-linux-ubuntu-jaunty.sh

For latest nightly build:

$ sudo ./install_plt.py
http://pre.racket-lang.org/installers/plt-5.0.1.5-bin-i386-linux-ubuntu-jaunty.sh

After the script finishes,

$ gksudo gedit /etc/environment

and add /opt/plt/bin to the PATH variable defined there. Separate it
from the other paths with a colon.

When you log out and log back in, you should be able to type drracket
or any other plt command in a terminal and have it work. Even before
that, DrRacket should appear in your Applications->Programming menu.

The script shouldn't seriously break anything, but I have not
extensively tested it, so it may not work on all machines. Let me know
if you get problems and I'll try to fix them.

Todd