[racket] [BULK] Fundamentals

From: namekuseijin (namekuseijin at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 14 17:04:53 EDT 2010

the ultimate answer is 42.  Now you just need the proper question...

here's another take:  java is JIT-compiled too.  It powers a very
large industry.  The difference to Racket is just a few million
dollars worth of hype, man-power and a (largely) static verbose
type-system:  this provides a tad better oportunities for the compiler
to pin down optimizations.

so, you wonder if you should take Racket as a lowly interpreted
scripting language or as a noble compiled programming language?

I have no way to answer you, but here are a few facts for you to
ponder and make your decision:

Amazon.com was originally written in Perl (later at least mostly
rewritten as C++)
Twitter.com was originally written in Ruby (later rewritten as Scala
running on JVM)
Reddit.com was originally written in Common Lisp (later rewritten in Python)
Slashdor.org was originally written in Perl.
Facebook.com is written in PHP.

these are some heavy-traffic websites.  If a bytecode-interpreted
"scripting" language can do some "real programming", then certainly a
JIT-compiled language can more than handle a  smaller website or a
single-user desktop app.

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Richard Cleis <rcleis at mac.com> wrote:
> Ok. But...  Carrions de Dwimmerlaik provide funding; they want answers to
> these questions.
>
> RAC
>
> On Oct 14, 2010, at 2:16 PM, Robby Findler <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> 'Begone foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!'
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 2:56 PM, namekuseijin <namekuseijin at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> he would probably look at you funny and point you to Amazon.com and
>>> some deep obscure Lord of the Rings passage.

Posted on the users mailing list.