[racket] Handling errors from in-directory - and handling errors more generally

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Oct 14 12:49:39 EDT 2010

5 hours ago, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> At Wed, 13 Oct 2010 20:48:05 -0400, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> > I'm getting an escape one:
> >
> >   -> (let ([cont? #t])
> >        (with-handlers ([exn:break?
> >                         (lambda (e)
> >                           (when cont?
> >                             (printf "BREAK! --> jump back to ~s\n"
> >                                     (exn:break-continuation e))
> >                             (set! cont? #f)
> >                             ((exn:break-continuation e))))])
> >          (for ([i (in-naturals)]) (displayln i) (sleep 0.5))))
> >   0
> >   1
> >   BREAK! --> jump back to #<escape-continuation>
> >   continuation application: attempt to jump into an escape continuation
>
> To successfully resume, you have have to use the lower-level
> `call-with-exception-handler' layer instead of `with-handlers'.

I first thought that this means that I need to use
`call-with-exception-handler' to reraise a new break exception with
the continuation -- something like this:

    (call-with-exception-handler
     (lambda (e)
       (if (exn:break? e)
         (let/cc k
           (make-exn:break (exn-message e)
                           (exn-continuation-marks e)
                           k))
         e))
     (lambda () ...))

but this barfs with:

  exn:break: expected argument of type <escape continuation>; given
  #<continuation>

Maybe it will help to have some example code that uses the
continuation field?

(Background: I saw the mention of `exn:break' having a continuation
while hacking the interactive.rkt thing -- and thought that it would
be nice to add a new ",cont" command that continues an aborted
computation.  But so far it seems impossible to do, probably
intentionally, so I wonder how it can be used.)