[racket] Racket 5.0.99.2 on OS X

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 29 17:57:05 EST 2010

At Mon, 29 Nov 2010 21:04:53 +0100, Jakub Piotr Cłapa wrote:
> >> 1. Different (horrible) antialiased font rendering when using white text
> >> on black background. [...]
>
> While playing with your example code I managed to narrow it down to
> 'partly-smoothed. It seems that it really gave full smoothing (at least
> with Monaco) in the old MrEd. In the new one there is a big difference
> between partial and full smoothing and with partial the output gets
> worse on dark backgrounds (even for 'swiss). [...]
>
> With full-smoothing there are no differences (for both Monaco and 'swiss).
>
> So I guess it's not a bug, it's a feature. ;]

Thanks for tracking that down!

> >> 2. Cmd- keyboard shortcuts do not work at all (no action). [...]
> >
> > The first experiment: [...]
>
> I added:
> (define (do-key-event wxb event self down? wheel?)
>    (eprintf "~s~n" (list 'do-key-event wxb event self down? wheel?))
>
> For normal keypresses (with Alt/Option too) I get these pairs:
> (do-key-event #<weak-box> #<cpointer:id> #<cpointer:id> #t #f)
> (do-key-event #<weak-box> #<cpointer:id> #<cpointer:id> #f #f)
>
> For anything with Cmd- I do not get any prints.

Ok.

> > A second experiment: [...]
> >
> >   * In "collects/mred/private/wx/cocoa/window.rkt", change the
> >     implementation of `performKeyEquivalent:' in `MyMenuBar'
> >     from
> >
> >        (and the-apple-menu
> >             (tell #:type _BOOL the-apple-menu performKeyEquivalent: evt))

> >        (super-tell #:type _BOOL performKeyEquivalent: evt)
> >
> >   [...]
>
> This is fun: In 5.0.99.2 I do not have any mention of
> performKeyEquivalent in window.rkt or anywhere else in collects. ;-)
> I downloaded 5.0.99.3 (plt-5.0.99.3-bin-i386-osx-mac.dmg) and I cannot
> find anything either.

Sorry --- it's in "collects/mred/private/wx/cocoa/menu-bar.rkt",
not "window.rkt".

> >> 3. In preferences I can only switch tabs and click OK/Cancel. Other
> >> buttons and drop-downs do not react to clicks. I can activate and change
> >> some of them using the keyboard (Tabs + Space).
> >
> > I see this on my PowerPC 10.4 machine (though your screen shots look
> > like 10.5, at least), so I should be able to fix this one.
>
> I don't know if it should but it still does not work on 5.0.99.3.

It looks like the change is not in the current nightly build. Let me
know if you still see the problem in a build from November 29 or later.

Thanks,
Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.