[racket] Plea for neologism (was: Re: letoverlambda)

From: Joe Marshall (jmarshall at alum.mit.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 24 13:55:31 EST 2010

> On Nov 20, 2010, at 6:58 PM, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
>
>> Hygiene is a technical term.  The idea is roughly that
>> the __macro system__ (as a whole) should respect the
>> lexical structure of your program.

It is somewhat unfortunate that the name `hygiene' has caught
on here.  It really ought to be called `lexical scoping' (with the
understanding that macros have no special permission to violate
lexical scope any more than lambda bindings do).

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:08 AM, John Clements
<clements at brinckerhoff.org> wrote:

>  then *what word* should we use to describe macros that violate transparency? "non-transparent"?

I've seen `non-hygienic'.  I'd vote for `broken'.

--
~jrm