[racket] letoverlambda

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Nov 20 10:53:14 EST 2010

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik at topoi.pooq.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 08:42:57AM -0500, Shriram Krishnamurthi wrote:
>> I haven't seen this book mentioned here before, so:
>>
>> http://letoverlambda.com/
>>
>> It is, well, a very particular perspective on things, but I've heard
>> people speak well of it.
>
> It looks interesting.  Very unSchemeish, though.  Chapter 6, on
> anaphoric macros, seems to celebrate unhygienicity.
>
> -- hendrik

The following passage is particularly unsettling.

"Even the vast majority of Scheme systems, the platform that has
experimented the most with hygiene, provide unhygienic defmacro-style
macros—presumably because not even Scheme implementors take hygiene
very seriously. Like training wheels on a bicycle, hygiene systems are
for the most part toys that should be discarded after even a modest
level of skill has been acquired."

--Carl

Posted on the users mailing list.