[racket] new GUI and drawing libraries in v5.0.99.1

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 7 08:31:37 EST 2010

At Sun, 07 Nov 2010 14:22:53 +0100, Jakub Piotr Cłapa wrote:
> On 05.11.10 23:01, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> > Racket can build and install on Unix systems without Gtk libraries,
> > but you must install Gtk to run programs that use the Racket GUI
> > library; modern distributions of Unix variants include Gtk, so that's
> > unlikely to be a problem. When you build Racket from source on Windows
> > or Mac OS X, Pango and Cairo libraries are automatically downloaded
> > and installed along with the main Racket binaries (i.e., not
> > system-wide). Along similar lines, stand-alone GUI executables for
> > Unix/X platforms rely on a system installation of Gtk, while packaging
> > a stand-alone GUI application for Windows or Mac OS X includes the
> > necessary libraries in the package.
>
> I downloaded Racket v5.0.99.1 for OS X Intel and I cannot find the
> required libraries in the package:
>
> [jpc at jpc Racket v5.0.99.1] ls -lR|grep pixman
> [jpc at jpc Racket v5.0.99.1]
>
> Have I missed something?

It looks like the nightly-build installers are still missing libraries
for Windows and Mac OS X. We'll fix that.

For now, you could download the libraries from

 http://download.racket-lang.org/libs/1/i386-macosx/

and drop them in the "lib" subdirectory of your Racket installation.
You'll have to unpack "PSMTabBarControl.tgz" in place.

Windows users can get

 http://download.racket-lang.org/libs/1/win32/i386/

to drop into "lib". Not all of those files are needed (e.g., you could
skip "libgtk-win32-2.0-0.dll") but it's probably simplest to just get
them all.

Posted on the users mailing list.