[racket] Global Racket Error Recorder

From: Hendrik Boom (hendrik at topoi.pooq.com)
Date: Thu Nov 4 16:43:39 EDT 2010

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 11:16:47AM -0700, John Clements wrote:
> For now, this goes in the FYI category: I have a student that's implemented a simple error-recording database. We've now installed it on our lab machines, and you can see some early results here:
>
> http://li21-127.members.linode.com:8020/errrecorder
>
> The goal of the project is to allow students & others to provide helpful hints that will guide people toward solutions to their problems.  As you can see, this early version has way-too-coarse categories: we're looking into using measures of string similarity to group similar-looking error messages.
>
> John

Also FYI:  The writers of the CDC Algol 68 compiler used an LR parser.
When the time came to do parsing error recovery, they initially used
some heuristics.  However, every time a user complained about a bad
error recovery, they figured out what error recovery he wanted, found
the spot in the FSM where it had been done badly, and inserted an
hand-picked error recovery.

It ended up with very good error recovery.

-- hendrik

Posted on the users mailing list.