[racket] moby/phonegap/android: use acceleration or geolocation to derive velocity?

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 2 17:08:24 EDT 2010

I don't /really/ know, but isn't one reading from the accelerometer
and the other from GPS? The answer depends, I think, on the distance
over which you want to operate. If you want velocity from, e.g., hand
movements, the accelerometer is the way to go. If you want velocity
over large scale (metres, kms) use GPS.

HTH,
N.

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 5:52 PM, keydana at gmx.de <keydana at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am wondering how best to calculate velocity in a moby/phonegap/android application.
> In general, would anyone have experience (or intuition) whether velocity might better be calculated from the acceleration values delivered by phonegap's Acceleration object, or directly be extracted from the Position object returned from Geolocation (it has a field 'velocity')?

Posted on the users mailing list.