[plt-scheme] [ann] Backgammon

From: David Van Horn (dvanhorn at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon May 17 11:40:38 EDT 2010

On 5/15/10 1:04 PM, John Clements wrote:
> 1) Are you considering actually hosting a server somewhere?

Nope.  I just wait until I want to play with someone then start a server
at NEU.

> 2) As I'm sure you know, there are plenty of backgammon servers out there.

Yeah, and I didn't look at any of them.  Really I just wanted to a) play
backgammon and b) write a non-trivial Universe program.

> One cool application here could be the ability to have students build "bots" that can compete automatically on a large shared server. That is, PLT kids all over the world could write simple backgammon players. Most of them would be terrible, of course, which would help to boost the egos of those that were somewhat less terrible.
>
> In order to make something like this work, of course, you'd have to enforce the rules ... :).

Yes, the next step would be to add a referee to the server.  I didn't do
this only because I like to play with different sets of rules sometimes
and I didn't want to deal with that in code.

It's a bit like a type system.  It'd be great to have, but it wouldn't
let you do anything new.

> p.s.: care to play some backgammon?

Of course!  I'll send you some email.

David