[plt-scheme] Re: racket, what the hell?

From: Benjamin L. Russell (DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 29 13:49:31 EDT 2010

http://www.plt-racket.org/new-name.html):

> The name Racket meets some basic criteria:
> it isn’t used already, it’s easy to pronounce and spell, and it has a
> vague connection to the word “scheme.” Mostly, though, we just like
> it.

However, according to Merriam-Webster Online (see
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racket):

> Main Entry: 2racket
> Function: noun
> Etymology: origin unknown
> Date: 1565
> [...]
> 3 a : a fraudulent scheme, enterprise, or activity

The term "racket" seems to have negative connotations, especially when
related to the term "scheme," and seems to be creating quite a racket
right now ;).

Out of curiosity, what was the perceived "'vague connection' to the word
'scheme'?"

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto." -- Matsuo Basho^