[plt-scheme] Re: [plt-edu] Symbolic algebra

From: Eduardo Cavazos (wayo.cavazos at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 17 05:26:32 EDT 2010

On Mar 16, 2010, at 3:16 AM, Mark Engelberg wrote:

 > Does anyone have any pointers to some good resources about how you'd
 > go about implementing a symbolic algebra system in Scheme or a related
 > functional language? Solving equations, factoring polynomials, etc.

 > I don't really care about speed, because I know there are a lot of
 > finely-tuned libraries out there for that purpose; I'm more
 > interested in knowing if there's a clean and simple "reference"
 > design that illustrates all the principles involved.

Mark,

You might find my 'mpl' libraries interesting:

     http://github.com/dharmatech/mpl/blob/master/mpl.org

Solving equations and factoring polynomials are covered in volume 2 of
the texts I mention there. Should you decide to implement those
algorithms, the 'mpl' libraries could serve as a foundation for you to
get started.

Ed

Posted on the users mailing list.