[plt-scheme] Guzdial: "I heart HtDP"

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 11 11:18:48 EST 2010

On Mar 11, 2010, at 10:51 AM, Arthur Nunes-Harwitt wrote:

> In a talk he mentioned that they tried HtDP at Georgia Tech, but
> weren't satisfied with it and switched to another approach.  I
> intend to talk to Mark Guzdial more about this.  Does anyone else
> have more information about why HtDP was phased out at Georgia Tech?

Simple: GTech's dean decided that GTech needed to teach what was
invented at GTech. Then they switched under the leadership of Guzdial.
Then they developed new stuff. And then they made up random post-
factor justifications (and yes, I mean plural) depending on where they
published or to whom they talked. Examples:

  -- they asked a handful of girls of how they could use HtDP in
practice and they came up with "making up lists of friends"
  -- they said it wasn't demonstrating how it could work interactively
with GUIs
  -- they claimed HtDP lead to cheating
  -- they claimed that the book was too slow (so why replace it with
something slower and less challenging)
  -- they fired the staff who taught the HtDP stuff and who had been
trained here

All this happened after they told us how much they loved the
systematic approach of HtDP, after Matthew had gone there and
explained the story behind HtDP to the entire faculty, and they liked
that, too.

The best news of all was that they eventually got rid of their dean.
Too late for us. Guzdial hates HtDP for the same reason the entire EDU
clan hates us.

And with all of this said, I still can't write down the true reason
because emails are public speech. -- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.