[plt-scheme] Do no evil

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Wed Mar 10 12:35:48 EST 2010

wooks wrote:

>>> I have just come across a set of lecture notes for a 2001 CS
>>> course in an
>>>
>>> This does not sound like plagiarism to me.
>>>

> I thought you were supposed to acknowledge your source when you did
> that sort of thing. Would it be plagiarism if a student did it?

A lecturer, unlike a student, is typically not presenting original work
and being assessed on its originality. It would be plagiarism if I took
examples from a book and passed them off as my own work in a technical
talk or in a textbook from which I were to get royalties.

That said, it is good practice to acknowledge sources. You don't get the
whole context with slides -- the lecturer may have acknowledged the
source orally, as I often do. One instance where I don't do this right
away is if the source also contains examples I am using as assignment
questions. I have, in such circumstances, prepared a "sources" sheet
available after the final exam. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.