[racket] Loop in Racket

From: Stephen Bloch (sbloch at adelphi.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 28 09:48:20 EDT 2010

>> What is the reason for not offering a looping construct in racket?
>> For
>> example, something like:
>>
>> (loop (i 1 10) (print i))
>>
>> Just for the masses, it seems simpler to use.

Simpler than what?  For what application?

The classic C/C++/Java "for" loop was designed for, and is almost
always used for, integer counters stepping through an array.  In most
of these applications, what you really want to do is "do something to
each element of this array," or perhaps "do something to each element
of this array until you find one that meets this criterion."

One of my general principles of programming is "try to avoid
introducing concepts in the solution that weren't part of the
problem."  In both of the above cases, the problem statement doesn't
say anything about integer counters, indices, or mutation, so one
should be able to solve the problem without those things.

In a low-level language like C or Pascal, one can't hide the fact
that arrays are indexed with integers, and the way to do something
with various different integers is a for-loop.  C++ starts to address
the problem with "iterators", which still act like mutable counters
and are still used in classic "for" loops, but at least they hide the
array indexing.  Java does the same thing with "Iterable" and goes a
step farther with "foreach" loops, which partially hide the mutation
as well... but anyone who's ever tried defining a class that
implements Iterable found that it still has to use mutation
internally.  Scheme/Racket's list and sequence operations -- "map",
"filter", "foldr", "for", "in-range", "in-naturals", "in-string",
"stop-before", etc. -- are yet another step in the direction of
eliminating concepts from the solution that weren't in the problem.

In other words, what's "simpler" is to use a construct that says what
you mean.  If you want to print the integers 1 through 10 in
increasing order (actually a fairly artificial problem whose main
purpose is to test integer-counting for-loop constructs), use "for"
and "in-range".  If you want to do something to each element of a
list and get a list of the results, use "map".  If you want to
extract the elements of a list that meet a particular criterion, use
"filter".  If you want to count the elements of a list that meet a
particular criterion, use "count-if".  And in the unlikely event that
what you want to do doesn't match any of the defined constructs,
Scheme/Racket allows you to write your own control constructs
(indeed, I have assigned my CS0 students to write their own versions
of "map", "filter", and "count-if").

Stephen Bloch
sbloch at adelphi.edu