[racket] [The Racket Blog] New comment on Racket.

From: David Brown (plt at davidb.org)
Date: Sat Jun 19 01:48:35 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 03:00:29PM -0400, Eli Barzilay wrote:
>On Jun 18, Jens Axel Søgaard wrote:
>>
>> This means that if Racket gets an Arm port, it is possible to use
>> it.  MzScheme used to have an Arm port, but I am somewhat unsure,
>> whether it has survived the test of time. Has it survived?
>
>Last time I tried a build on an Arm machine, it went through fine,
>including the gui.

I'm not sure what Apple's userspace environment is like, since I can't
see it, but at least for Android, there would probably be a good
amount of work to port Racket to even a compiled app.  The C library
present is kind of hand crafted just to meet the needs of Android and
is missing a lot of stuff.  Gui stuff would have to be ported to the
Android-specific GUI library.

It is running a Linux kernel, though, so it certainly would be
possible.  Google does provide a native development kit to help with
this kind of thing, so it is even a supported thing to do.

David

Posted on the users mailing list.